Hey, Summer Lovers!
True, it can be difficult to watch the summer season go by, but it’s important to remember that, for the time, it’s still here. I know, it’s not really the same with school back in session and the days getting shorter, but it’s not technically fall until September 23. So make the best of the rest and go enjoy the beautiful weather of the great outdoors.
Last week I talked about what a fun activity apple-picking can be. It’s always been one of my personal favorite end-of-summer activities. But that’s not the only fun activity you can do that marks the end of summer…
Idea #2: Sitting around a campfire. This time of the season provides perfect temperatures for campfires! Who doesn’t love keeping warm in a circle of friends sitting, hypnotized, around a fire? Enjoying some hot chocolate or some tasty s’mores makes a fire even better and keeps the chills away.
If you’re unfamiliar with the seasonal shift toward Autumn that we experience in northern Wisconsin as the climate varies rather dramatically across our lovely country, let me tell you, I’m sorry you miss out on this beautiful landscape.
Most people who live in northern Wisconsin revere the Fall season as their favorite of the four. It’s mine. The temperature’s typically in the Goldilock’s Zone of being JUUUST right! That’s what makes it so nice to sit around a campfire in the late evening and warm your bones.
As perfect as they are, campfires can suddenly become dangerous if they aren’t properly controlled. Here are some helpful tips from Everything Summer Camp to stay safe around a fire:
- Keep a shovel and bucket of water nearby.
- Keep extra wood away from the fire.
- Keep a safe distance away from the fire and watch for flying sparks when the wind picks up.
- Always assume that the firewood, fire pit, or anything else involved in the fire is HOT!!!
- Don’t leave a campfire unattended—not even for a minute.
- And, of course, make sure you have the help and supervision of an adult when dealing with fire.
Stay safe and thanks for reading, Summer Fans!